This building, the City Hall, is one of the main modernist-style buildings in the city of Cartagena and was built between 1900 and 1907 by the architect Tomás Rico Valrico, together with Francisco de Paula Oliver.
Its construction has a triangular plan, with a completely white marble facade and domes with zinc tiles. Its external decoration has the main emblems of the city, such as the Conception Castle, present in the city's coat of arms, and the mural crown, which was granted by Scipio the African, a Roman general, when he took possession of the city of Carthago Nova.
In 1995, it was closed due to the need to carry out repairs and reforms because of damage caused by its construction on land reclaimed from the sea. The restoration work was finished in 2006 and the building looks as majestic as it did at the time of its original inauguration.
Museums in Cartagena
Cartagena and the sea
Squares & Parks