Don Juan de la Cierva Palace
This palace was owned by Don Juan de la Cierva Peñafiel, who served as Minister and President of the Government during the reign of Alfonso XIII. The building was built around 1915, serving as an occasional residence for the Don Juan family.
The railway connecting Murcia with Caravaca was traced between the walls of the palace. It is considered an example of the style that prevailed in the stately buildings of the first decades of the 20th century.
It has a tower-house structure—something that was quite particular among the orchards of the region.
Its owner, Don Juan de la Cierva Peñafiel, was surprised in Madrid by the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War. To save his life, he took refuge in the Norwegian Embassy, where, due to the shortage of medicines and to the privations produced by the war, his health was affected. He died on January 11, 1938.