Water Wheel (Lorqui - Murcia)

History of the Vega Media del Segura

The Vega Media del Segura region is located between the Ricote Valley and the Huerta de Murcia and has 121,927 inhabitants (data from the year 2019) in an area of 256 km². Its capital is Molina de Segura and it is made up of five municipalities: Alguazas (9,638 inhabitants), Ceuti (11,787 inhabitants), Lorqui (7,141 inhabitants), Molina de Segura (71,890 inhabitants), and Las Torres de Cotillas (21,471 inhabitants).


There is evidence of the presence of settlements in the municipality of Alguazas dating from 2,000 B.C. corresponding to the Prehistoric period, but there are no indications of Iberian or Roman civilization. Its name comes from the Arabic word Al Waza, which means "the middle one", indicating that it was between the Segura and Mula Rivers.
Saint Onuphrius Church (Alguazas - Murcia) 
Not until the Reconquest period, in the 13th century, were the first references to Alguazas identified.

This population had belonged to the Muslims until King Alfonso X donated it to his wife, along with other places in Murcia. Later, Alguazas passed into the hands of the widow of King Sancho IV and the mother of Fernando IV (until the year 1321).
The bishop of Cartagena, Martin Martinez, conquered the Muslim fortress of Lubrin (Almeria) in 1309, giving King Fernando IV his possession to the bishopric. Given the border location of Lubrin and the risk that it would fall back into Muslim hands, King Fernando IV changed the fortress of Lubrin to the bishopric for his mother's possessions in the kingdom of Murcia: Alcantarilla, Monteagudo, some public baths in Murcia and Alguazas. In this way, Alguazas passed into the hands of the church.

The 16th century was a period of penalties for Alguazas, due to the internal struggles between the church and the council over the distribution of income, as well as due to the diseases and floods that the area suffered in these times.

The most outstanding historical heritage of Alguazas is the Church of Saint Onofre (1574), the Moors Tower (14th century), and the La Purisima Hermitage (end of the 18th century).


In the Ceuti municipality, the first evidence of human occupation corresponds to the “Cabezo del Catalán” site, which is from the Iberian period. Likewise, remains of Roman pottery found on the “Rambla del Salar de Archena” account for the Roman stay throughout the territory of the Vega Media del Segura region.
Saint Mary Magdalene Parish Church (Ceuti - Murcia) 
The birth of the Ceuti population center took place during the reconquest (13th century). However, based on the presence of several Muslim archaeological remains in the area, there is the conviction that the latter had previously inhabited the place.

The first document referring to Ceuti is from the year 1274, when Alfonso X donated the farmhouse to Jordan Despuig. Later, it would go to the Order of Santiago, like many other municipalities in the province of Murcia.
The municipality of Ceuti has two of the most important museums in the province. The Antonio Campillo Museum, sculptor who was named “adoptive son” of Ceuti, and the Museum of Modern Art of the Region of Murcia, formerly Ceutimagina.

Ceuti's economy has traditionally been linked to agriculture. In the middle of the 20th century, a number of canning companies settled in the area. Today, business diversification and cultural tourism mark its economy.


In the Lorqui municipality, the first vestiges of settlements date back to the Iberian period. However, Roman and fundamentally Islamic remains have also been found. These peoples established the first sites of the current city, whose name comes from Arabic, meaning “originating from Lorca”.

In 1285 the Crown of Castile ceded the Lorqui farmhouse to representatives who had supported the reconquest and later donated it to the Order of Santiago. It was repopulated with a Mudejar population. In 1445 it became a town. Lorqui was in possession of the Order of Santiago for almost five centuries, until the 19th century.

Molina de Segura

Molina de Segura is the region’s capital. The privileged location of this territory favored the crossing and presence of numerous inhabitants of various civilizations. There is evidence of the Paleolithic era and the Bronze Age, as well as the presence of Iberian, Carthaginian, and Roman populations.
Our Lady of the Assumption Church (Molina de Segura) 
Molina de Segura became relevant when the Arabs made the Vega Media del Segura territory a military center, building fortresses. The entire region experienced a period of growth and development.

In the 20th century, Molina de Segura experienced more development thanks to the canning industry. In terms of its historical heritage, the Church of the Assumption, the Hermitage of Saint Roque, and the Hermitage of the Virgin of the Consolation stand out.

Las Torres de Cotillas

Las Torres de Cotillas was inhabited by the Romans, as evidenced by the archaeological site of the “Termas de La Loma”, which is the oldest trace of human presence. Later, Visigoths and Muslims settled in the area.
Our Lady of La Salceda Church (Las Torres de Cotillas - Murcia) 
During the Muslim era, Las Torres de Cotillas contained two different farmhouses or rural population centers: Alguaza de Cotillas (Cotillas la Vieja) and Benahendin. Alguaza de Cotillas was located in the current district of San Pedro. The word “Cotillas” derives from Qutyya, identified with a population of Visigoth origin. Alguaza is an Arabic place name that means "the middle one". The reason for the use of this name would be, similar to the neighboring town of Alguazas, because it is very close to the Segura and Mula Rivers.
In terms of its historical heritage, highlights include the Parish of Our Lady of La Salceda, patron saint of the municipality, built in the late 18th century, and the “Palacete de los D'Estoup”, from the 19th century.