The church was built in the 19th century on the land where the old Conception Hermitage had been located. Records indicate that this hermitage already existed in 1538 and the hospital located in the garden surrounding the chapel already existed in 1542.
Near the chapel, since the 16th century, the House of the Encomienda has been located, which belonged to the Military Order of Saint James, an institution that became strong in the region when King Alfonso X donated the lands of Aledo and Totana in 1257. The aim was to monitor and protect the population against the threat that the Arab presence meant at that time.
The church was remodelled several times and is notable for its neo-Gothic style.
What to see in Totana