Strategically located at the top of the hill, the Castle of Pliego stands out.
Although it dates from the 12th century, the time of the Muslim kingdom in the region, it is hypothesized that this fortress was built after its neighbouring castle (the Castle of Las Paleras, located just 500 meters away) due to its considerably better state of conservation.
According to the story, once Murcia was incorporated into the crown of Castile, in 1243, the Castle of Pliego was occupied by Castilian troops and incorporated into a network of fortifications in the territory bordering the lands of the King of Granada. This is how, until the 17th century, this fortress became a border castle, constantly exposed to war.
In 1985, the Castle of Pliego was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest.