The Mula River region is made up of the following municipalities: Albudeite, with 1,373 inhabitants; Campos del Rio, with 2,028 inhabitants; Mula, with 16,883 inhabitants; and Pliego, with 3,847 inhabitants (data from the year 2019).
It is, therefore, a relatively sparsely populated region (24,131 inhabitants according to the 2019 census) located in the center of the province of Murcia.
For centuries, the Mula River region has been considered very rich due to its advantageous geographical position close to the Mula River. This has allowed its municipalities to enjoy, for centuries, a rich economic activity in agriculture.
Albudeite originated from a castle built by the Visigoths - a fortress that, centuries later, became a mosque and still later, in the 16th century, the Church of Our Lady of Remedies.
Campos del Rio
To find the first allusions to Campos del Rio, one must wait until 1257, when a privilege granted by Alfonso X ceded Campos del Rio to Mula.
However, Muslim vestiges have been found in the area, which allows us to assume that Campos del Rio was already inhabited during the period of Muslim rule (11th and 12th centuries).
The main points of interest in Campos del Rio are the Parish Church of Saint John Baptist; the castle viewpoint; and the building of the Clock Tower.
The location of Mula, between the Sierras de Espuña, Cambron and Ricote, provides a landscape full of contrasts, from the lands of the fertile plain of the river to the abrupt karst landscapes with hardly any vegetation.
The economy of Mula, as is the case in the other municipalities of the Mula River region, is fundamentally based on agriculture. In recent years, as in most municipalities in the interior of the province of Murcia, a great effort has been made to value historical heritage and promote rural and cultural tourism.
Pliego originated from the Paleras Castle settlement, which became an important Muslim town (located north of the current location of the town). This settlement was inhabited from the 12th century until the conquest of the town by Alfonso X (1244).
In the 14th century, Pliego passed into the hands of the Order of Santiago, and an important demographic development was achieved under its rule.
Pliego has an impressive historical-artistic heritage, with highlights being the Paleras Castle and the Pliego Castle, both built throughout the 12th century. In the heart of the urban area, we find the “Caserio Mudejar”, which reproduces an urban design from the rural Islamic farmhouses. Nor can we miss visiting the Church of Santiago the Apostle (1667), the Tercia House, the House of the Poet Federico Balart, the Virgin of Los Remedios Hermitage, the Sundial and the Clock Tower.
In addition, the excellent location of Pliego provides a great offering of mountain sports, such as hiking, climbing, mountain biking and caving.