Palace of La Encomienda de Santiago
This Baroque building was built in 1802. The “Encomienda” was a place used to store grains, wine, and other provisions from the agricultural activity in the area. Horses were also kept here and the “Tercia” tax was collected.
In 1450, the Encomienda ceased to be in the hands of the Order of Santiago and became a secular manor of Alfonso Fajardo, El Bravo. Eleven years later, in 1461, the Order of Santiago recovered the Encomienda. With the confiscation of the 19th century, it passed into private hands.
The building underwent several reforms and restorations during the 20th century. Among the most important is the division into three houses. In addition, modern materials such as concrete were used.
Unfortunately, its large interior patio has disappeared. The hallway, part of the main corridor, and its cellars are still preserved, where 91 original jars of the 120 that the Encomienda came to have still survive.