This beautiful building, built in the Baroque style between the 17th and 18th centuries, is located in the Spain Square, forming, together with the Casa del Corregidor, the Chapter Rooms, and the Collegiate Church of Saint Patrick, one of the most impressive monumental complexes in the Murcia region.
The current building was built in different stages. The first was after the 1674 earthquake that destroyed the public jail and forced the creation of a new one. The last comprehensive remodelling was in 1992.
Today it is possible to see a collection of contemporary paintings, especially by local painters. There is also a set of paintings by Miguel Muñoz de Córdoba, made between 1722 and 1723, which narrate the main battles in which Lorca participated in the past.
On its facade, the main balcony stands out. It is a beautiful work by Agustín Manzano from 1740, after the building was enlarged to its current size.
Civil Architecture in Lorca
Religious Architecture in Lorca
Museums in Lorca