The San Isidoro Battery was built during the 18th century in the context of large-scale military works in the city, undertaken by the monarchy. In principle, there were two batteries, which is why it is known as the Battery of San Isidoro and Santa Florentina, but later they were unified. It is believed that in 1739 this battery possessed seven A24 guns.
Its construction was simple in its first stage, but in 1860, under a Defence Plan, it was reformed, giving it a larger structure with low profiles moulded with concrete and providing it with six iron cannons.
In the 19th century, with the advances in military technology, the Battery of San Isidoro underwent new remodelling that gave it its current appearance and culminated in 1901. Later, this building ceased to have military functions and fulfilled the function of housing the military, to later become an ammunition depot. As of 1997, it was completely out of use and today it is considered an Asset of Cultural Interest.
Museums in Cartagena
Cartagena and the sea
Squares & Parks