Its name is due to the type of ship that sought refuge at the foot of this castle.
Also known as Galleys Fort, it was built during the 18th century, in what is currently known as the San Antonio Abad county council. The original construction underwent various modifications throughout history to adapt both to the different defence and attack techniques and strategies and to the different types of weapons. Finally, in 1770, by order of Charles III and execution of the Count of Aranda, the reforms that gave it its final form were carried out.
Its strategic location stood out long before the castle was built. Its importance as a fortification belt of the city ceased in the 20th century, when it became a military prison. During the Spanish Civil War, it became a naval base for the Republican Army.
Later, in 1987, its power passed to the Army Land Army, which caused it to remain in an optimal state of conservation. On August 7, 1997, the Castle of Galleys was declared a Site of Cultural Interest for its historical importance.
Museums in Cartagena
Cartagena and the sea
Squares & Parks