The Castle of the Moors was built in the 18th century in the current Santa Lucia neighbourhood.
This castle is located on the hill of the Moors, from which its name comes. The construction process was devised by the military engineer Juan Martín Cermeño during the reign of Charles III, when the city was named capital of the Mediterranean Maritime Department in 1726. Due to this fact, processes of reforms in the military structures of Cartagena arose.
Of great importance at the level of strategic location for the defence of the square, this function was highlighted in times of the war of the Spanish succession. It obtained the declaration of Asset of Cultural Interest on August 7, 1997.
Museums in Cartagena
Cartagena and the sea
Squares & Parks