Saint Bartholomew the Apostle is the patron saint of Librilla, and this church is the most emblematic building in the town.
We find it in the old town, at the point known as “El Plano”, a privileged setting next to the “Rambla del Orón”, where the town hall is also located.
This is where the Patron Saint Festivities are traditionally celebrated in honour of Saint Bartholomew.
Although we do not know when the primitive Saint Bartholomew Church was built, what is clear is that during the years 1447 to 1458 it already existed as such. In any case, the current construction dates from the 17th century.
The church is built in the shape of a Latin cross, on the remains of old buildings. The decoration style is neoclassical, although it also has baroque touches, typical of the time when it was built.
This church had images of Salzillo, Roque López, and Sánchez Tapia, but unfortunately, most of these works of art were destroyed during the Civil War. The interior was completely renovated when the war ended.
The most prominent sculpture is the image of Saint Bartholomew. This is in the dressing room in front of the altar. It is a polychrome wooden image dating from 1946.