A few steps from the Homage Tower, we will find the pillory. Unlike most village pillories, which were simple wooden poles, this one is covered with exposed bricks—something that was practiced in some villages to make them more resistant.
Although the Cortes of Cadiz ordered the destruction of all the pillories to ensure the freedom of all the cities, there are still many in different regions of northern Spain.
That of Aledo is the only one that still survives in Murcia, perhaps because its cylindrical structure was always covered with a layer of exposed brick that protected it from the passage of time.
When we visit these types of places, it is good to remember that we are not only in front of another tourist spot, but that we are seeing an element that represents the cruellest elements of the Middle Ages and the feudal system. Prisoners who had survived the torture of an executioner were brought here to be insulted, beaten, and humiliated by the neighbours. On other occasions, the head was brought, which was impaled on the tip of the pillory to serve as a warning for thieves, those who had debts, or those who wanted to question authority.
It was built in 1592, when King Philip II of Spain authorized the town to emancipate itself from the jurisdiction of the Order of Santiago, thus permitting it to have its own jail and pillory.